• Story spotting. How to pick an idea from the news media/other sources, develop it and target your dream publication. (Also, how to deal with rejection and where to find other outlets!)
• Developing the story. To consider: photos, breakouts, case studies, experts/talents, voice, style, genre and different mediums.
• How to pitch a story – using email, the phone and face-to-face meetings.
• Ways to follow up with editors and land the commission.
• Perfecting the pitch. Pitching workshop. Students will be asked to come with a welldeveloped idea to pitch in-class.
• The essentials of researching, writing and filing saleable copy.
• How to research the story and gather the raw material.
• How to plan, construct and write your story.
• Tips and tricks on polishing and editing your copy.
• The importance of networking and the contact book.
• How to avoid editorsʼ pet hates.
• Copyright, re-selling and re-packing your story.
• Exploring the overseas market.
• Accounting and maintaining a successful home office.