Here is Master O’s newsletter from IBS, always a lovely distraction.
The principal, Robert Ruggeri, points to the Dalai Lama’s 18 Rules for Living, a good sign I think…
Issue 22, 23rd August 2011
Week 6 Term 3, 2011
Dear Parents and Students,
We have a Major Parents and Friends fund raising activity happening on Saturday 3rd September and it promises to be an extremely entertaining event. Ticket sales are not as impressive as they should be for this great opportunity to get together and support your children’s school. I am prepared to gamble that you will have the best time of your life! Get your tickets and have a flutter!
With all the busyness that surrounds each and everyone one of us there needs to be moments when we stop to reflect on things. I would like to revisit the Dalai Lama’s 18 Rules for Living – I have always preferred a minimalistic approach to challenges, however, there are just too many important points below to omit any one area.
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three Rs: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
Which of these rules resonates for you?
You may prefer the video clip version at 18 Rules for Living.
- Digital Dialects – Games for Language Practice (freetech4teachers.com)
- The Dalai Lama’s Daily Prayer (notesalongthepath.com)
- Dalai Lama begins 3-day spiritual visit to France (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Dalai Lama begins 3-day spiritual visit to France (foxnews.com)
- How did the Dalai Lama get to be the Dalai Lama (wiki.answers.com)