If you want to learn Bookbinding in Sydney, then this course is for you.
I am very excited that I will soon be doing the Introductory bookbinding course, through Amazing Paper and with the wonderful Rosemarie Jeffers-Palmer.
This course explores the techniques of paper folding, cover making and design, the process of stitching sections and explains basic bookbinding structures. Examples made will include soft and hard covered notebooks and the rebinding of a novel into a hard cover case. Inspiration will be drawn from Eastern and Western bookbinding traditions.
During this course the intention is that the following topics will be covered, but not necessarily in the order given. Due to the variable nature of Adult Education classes, parts of the curriculum may be adapted to suit the needs of the class.
- Introduction to tools and materials
- Paper folding and single section stitching, forming a hard cover and methods of decoration
- Preparation of paperbacks for rebinding in hard covers
- Adhesive binding
- Preparation of hard covers
- Completion of projects
The intended Learning Outcomes for this course are as follows.
By the end of the course the student will have:
- Learned different styles of oriental side stitching
- Learned to fold paper into sections, judging grain of paper, what glues to use and how to apply them
- Covered the correct use of bookbinding tools and use of book press and weights, measuring and trimming accurately
- Mastered single section stitching
- Covered different ways of forming soft and hard covers for books
- Learned the techniques for covering with paper and book cloth
- Mastered adhesive binding for single leaf books
- Learned the structure of western books
Course notes will be provided and material to make a range of books will be provided for a fee of $35 payable to the tutor.
- A notebook and pen
- HB pencil
- Glossy magazine pages to paste out on
- Cup for tea or coffee
Most tools will be provided for class use but can be purchased for approximately $35-$40. Details of tools will be provided at the first class.
*Good eye/hand coordination and good dexterity is necessary for this course as sharp knives are used in the cutting of board and papers. You will be shown correct procedure in the use of these tools but good
co-ordination will assure accurate cutting and prevention of injury.*
Classes are held in an air conditioned professional bindery at 184 Enmore Rd, Enmore next to Artwise Amazing Paper. Nearest corner is Metropolitan Rd and there is a council car park in Edgeware Rd. (click on venue below for directions)
Please wear closed in shoes.
PLS NOTE: All classes need a minimum number of students to go ahead. If your course does not have enough students it will be cancelled and you will be informed. Courses are usually cancelled, when necessary, 2 working days prior to the scheduled start date.***Please be aware that you may be informed of a cancellation &/or change via SMS or E-mail.
More details and dates are available from the Sydney Community College website entry. The introductory course runs for 8 weeks from Tuesday 18 October 2011 or Saturday 22 October 2011.
184 Enmore Road
Enmore NSW 2042